I have watched the headlines this week as woman after woman details horrible stories of abuse by men.
The abuse includes everything from snide comments, groping to out right sexual assault.
My advice to men so that will never find themselves accused of sexual harassment, abuse, or assault is simple and can be found in this succinct Bible verse:
1 Thessalonians 5:22 (KJV)
Abstain from all appearance of evil.
How are ways to abstain from appearance of evil? It involves a little common sense really.
- Hug only if invited or if you are a close relative (Even if a close friend with a woman, don’t hug, especially if you are not her husband.) Keep the hug short with eyes on the face. Keep hands on the waist nowhere else, period.
- Keep comments positive and light. If you like the way she is dressed, it is okay to say that outfit is pretty on you, but don’t go beyond that and say things like wow, your beautiful smile is turning me on today.
- DO NOT FLIRT EVER WITH A MARRIED WOMAN. Don’t contact them on their social media saying things like: “Hey beautiful, I would love to get to know you better. ” This activity is sinful. You should never try to come between a married woman and the love of her life, period, end of story. She has a holy covenant with her husband and he is to be the first in her life. Your contacting a married woman in this way is akin to adultery. Remember God says if you think it you are guilty of that sin. Proverbs 23:7.
- Never treat a woman with disrespect.
- Watch what you say to her; keep all your comments above board. As the Bible says in
“Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up,
as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.”
- Never, ever, be alone with a young girl under the age of 18 unless she is your daughter, sister, or very close relative.
- Finally, the most simple advice I can give men is to treat every woman the way they would want their wife, daughter, or sister treated. Would you want your daughter mishandled, ogled at, threatened with firing or losing her livelihood if she did not provide you with sexual favors? No of course not.
What advice would you add to my list?
This post is written for the Five Minute Friday community where the word for the day is Excuse. Special note: My initial introduction and list only took five minutes to write, but I took longer to add the bullets and research related scriptures.
Also contributing to parties list on my Linkup Parties page. Be sure to check it out for great blog hops to join throughout the week.